Many patients experience fear and anxiety when visiting the dentist. At the office of Randy Cockrell, DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we do everything we can help reduce your anxiety, allay your fears, and provide quick, painless treatments. Your comfort, relaxation, and happiness are at the heart of our practice. We invite you to call us at 714-974-0949 to learn more about dental anxiety and fear and our commitment to your comfort, and to make your appointment with our gentle dentist in Anaheim Hills, California.
When you visit our practice, we work hard to help you feel at ease. Much of the stress experienced when visiting the dentist are the result of dental fears. It is estimated that as many as 35 million people do not visit the dentist at all because they are afraid. However, the best way to avoid more complex treatments is to maintain good oral hygiene and receive your regular dental checkups. Not only will this help to relieve some of your dental fears, but it will help you avoid visiting the dentist for much more stressful treatments.
Common dental fears include:
- Embarrassment about the condition of your teeth
- Drills (hand pieces)
- Loss of control
- Fear of not becoming numb when injected with a local anesthetic
- Fear of pain
- Fear of the dentist as a person
Advances in dental technology have allowed us to replace noisy drills and other equipment with quieter and more comfortable treatments. For example, laser dentistry allows us to provide you with quicker, more comfortable treatments with a reduced healing time. There are also a number of safe anesthetic options available to eliminate or reduce your pain and discomfort and help you feel relaxed during routine appointments with our dentist. We are here to help you overcome your dental fears!
How Can You Overcome Dental Anxiety?
There are a few things that you can do to help reduce your dental fear and anxiety:
- Talk to the dentist – it can be hard to talk about your fears, but we can take extra precautions to ensure your comfort if we know about your fears and anxieties.
- Bring a portable music player – music helps you relax and can drown out fear-producing noises. This can help keep you comfortable and distracted, and will reduce your anxiety.
- Agree on a signal – decide on a “stop” signal with your dentist before you begin treatment.
- Spray your throat – throat sprays can help control your gag reflex. Two or three sprays will usually work or about an hour. Some examples of helpful throat sprays are Vicks® and Chloraseptic® throat sprays. Our dentist can recommend other sprays if necessary.
- Bring a mirror to your appointment – being able to see what is happening can reduce your anxiety and keep you from imagining worst-case scenarios
- Ask about alternatives – advances in dentistry mean that there are many treatment options available for you. Dental microsurgery and laser dentistry are among two of the most common alternative solutions.
If you have questions about how Dr. Randy Cockrell can help you reduce anxiety, please contact our office. We will be happy to meet with you to discuss your anxieties and fears.