Preventive dental care is a form of dental treatment that aids in maintaining excellent oral health. It's a mix of regular dental examinations and establishing the habit of flossing and brushing. Maintaining your dental health begins in the early years of childhood and continues throughout your life.
Common Preventive Dental Services
Dental preventive services can include:
- Teeth Cleaning
- Regular oral exams
- Dental X-rays
- Fluoride application (Fluoride Varnish)
Advantages of Preventive Dental Care
Preventive dental care offers the following benefits to your oral health:
- Promotes good oral hygiene habits like brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing.
- It allows the dentist to perform an extensive examination of your jaw, mouth, and neck to determine any issues.
- The early detection of dental issues helps in reducing future treatment costs.
- Reduces chances of developing gum disease and more dental issues.
- Reduces the risk of dental problems due to certain chronic medical ailments, such as osteoporosis, diabetes, illnesses and eating disorders.
It Begins With You
A large portion of the preventative dental treatment begins with you. Making good dental habits at an early age will help you prevent gum disease, cavities, and many other oral concerns. Optimum oral health can be maintained by following the same:
- Make sure to brush on your teeth two times a day, at night and in the morning.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Use mouthwash to rinse off food particles after flossing.
- Floss regularly to remove food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard while playing certain sports.
- If you are a habitual night-time teeth grinder, ask your dentist for a mouth guard to prevent gum recession.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products, as they could cause oral cancer and other dental issues.
- Avoid eating acidic foods that could harm teeth enamel.
- Be careful with hard foods like candy or foods that contain seeds, bones, or pits that may cause damage to the teeth.
Who Provides Preventive Services?
A general dentist or family dentist is the best option whenever you require routine preventive services like regular dental exams, cleanings, and X-rays. They also offer various dental treatments like fillings, veneers, and crowns. Your dentist guides you by offering preventive treatment, helping you develop healthier habits, and suggesting the best means to improve your oral health
Please reach out to our dental practice in Anaheim Hills, CA, to have a consultation with our dentist. Please call us at (714) 974-0949 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.